Thursday, June 21

Barcelona- Gaudi Creations

You have to experience it! We toured two of the sights created by the artist Antoni Gaudi. Gaudi was a Spanish architect famous for his unique style. He belonged to a cultural movement led by highly individualistic intellectuals. These progressive thinkers aimed at updating their culture with arts and ideas by bringing Catalan up to date with the rest of Europe.

This is an experience I want to share with my husband Ric. Setting my eyes on this church was like peeking into heaven. The scaffolds seem to disappear as I stood in awe of this master piece. La Sagrada Familia is a Catholic church currently under construction. Gaudi worked on this for project for over forty years. He died before its completion. In the twentieth century some of the most talented artists have made a contribution to this endeavour. Most recently since the 1980´s computers have been introduced into the design and construction process. Parue Gruell was originally part of an unsuccessful housing project. Only two houses were built. The park is skilfully designed to bring peace and calmness.
Violinists, guitarists and artisans can be found adding performing and showcasing their talents. I tried taking picture of a violinist. As I made my way in front of him he turned his back to me. So enamoured by the sound and sights I did not realize what he was doing. I was chasing him like a dog trying to catch his tail. Someone in my group finally tapped me on the shoulder and said “He won’t let you take his picture.” Gosh! I thought I should remember the photo rules in this country. The music adds a fine touch to such a relaxing atmosphere. Benches and large beads are found along a pathway surrounding the home. The intention was to leisurely stroll around the passage while praying the rosary.

The architectural ingenious of Gaudi is remarkable. He is considered one of Spain’s, and the world’s most best and brightest.

No comments: