Wednesday, June 20

San Sebastian - Adventures in a small town

About ten of us decided to venture out into the small town of Errenteria just outside San Sebastian. The walk was a great lesson for trusting strangers and relaxing a bit, not too much, just a tiny bit.


We head out of our hotel just before ten o´clock. There was still a little light out. We stopped at a gas station and asked for directions. The clerk behind the counter pointed us in the right direction. " Across the bridge, under the tunnel and to the right" he said. Everything is always to the right. We waited hesistantly in front of the tunnel wondering if it was too long. The headlights for a car lit up the short distance. I kept thinking ´all this for a just a drink. I have four boys. I don´t need to be out here.´ Obviously I was a bit terrified.


We enterred a residential area. I heard one of the locals say "They are not from here." One of the girls with us asked a man for directions. "Down alongside the river until you get to the main plaza." Being overly cautious, I was looking at everyone we passed by. I relaxed a bit when we walked by an elderly woman. It had to be safe. It was late at night and she was out alone. We came to fork in the road and did not know which way to take. The sweet older woman stopped and asked "Do you need help getting somewhere." I felt guilty telling her I wanted a beer. She reminded me of my mother and out of respect I do not like to drink in front of my mom. "We´re looking for a bar" I heard someone say. " Ah yes this way" she said.


"This is a small town. If you want a bigger party take a bus into San Sebastian. You´ll think of me when you get there because you will have a great time." She walked us just a block short of the main plaza. "Muchas gracias" we all chimed together.


We sat and enjoyed a couple of drinks. Heading back to the hotel was really dark. We crossed the tunnel using our digitial camera LED screens to light the way. We laughed and giggled all the way both caused by the drinks and the nerves of walking in an unknown neighborhood.

When we finally made it back to the gas station we had originally stopped in I popped my head in and thanked the clerk for the directions. He seemed pleased. This was an adventure we were all proud we had taken. Thanks to Richard none of us chickened out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying your blog Sonia, What kind of beer did you drink? Be careful with the gypsies they are not as aggressive as the ones in Paris, they target guys because they will "tug" at a guys shirt bottom and say Mister Mister or something like that. They know that guys will hesitate to push away a kid or a girl and in that split second they have pickpocketed the wallet. They then back off, and then turn and run. These are usually the gypsies in the bigger cities that are more aggresive.

sonia said...

It was a Mahua i think !!
every time i sip a sangria i think of you!!! yup! you were right they are delicous!