Monday, June 18

Barcelona - Conversations

Striking up a conversation with a stranger is like getting into a swimming pool.

For some, it customary to walk right up to the edge, dip one or two toes, check the water and slowly immerse their foot. Others would rather stay away from water and avoid it at all costs for fear of the unknown. I, however, am comfortable running to the water and jumping right in.

In the last few days, I met people from many countries: Germany, France, Portugal and Brazil, to name a few. Initially I hesitated for fear of incorrectly pronouncing a word or phrase. I find Europe to be a place where a smile and an "Hola" are all you need to engage in a conversation.

I met a nice man named Alfonz. "Are you from Indonesia," he asked? "No" I answered. "I´m from the USA." "Yes, but where are you from?" Did he not hear me, I thought. " I am from the United States," I said. "Yes, but where is your family from?" Alfonz asked. "Oh, Mexico," I responded. "Both my parents are from Mexico." "Very nice to meet you," he said. The conversation continued for a while. I shared how I was in love with Europe. As we ended our conversation, he instructed "Beso de dos lados" a kiss on both cheeks.

At dinner the following day, I overheard a conversation that helped me analyze the one with my French friend. "I had not tried macaroni and cheese until a year ago," said a teen aged girl. "There are American foods my mom rejects. She is Asian and not willing to embrace the American cuisine." Did I hear correctly? `She is Asian.´ The girl had not said "WE are Asian." My French friend assumed most people migrate to the United States as did my parents. Overhearing this young girl reminded me, yes I was born in America, but I don´t want to forget my Hispanic culture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonia, Sounds like you are having a great time. I remember in Germany the same hesitation to talk to people in German, I would practice my "phrase" and then I would say it and then they would respond, in GERMAN...... It was hilarious, but they appreciate when people try to speak their language and I am sure the Spaniards want to practice their English

sonia said...

yes i think they do but i want to practice my spanish!
vale is my favorite expression!! that one and gaupa especially when it is said to me ¨:-) the piropo´s if that is correct are quite flattering!