Saturday, June 16

San Sebastian- The View From The Top

Oh! How I would like to bring my kids for a beach outing to San Sebastian and show them what I’ve seen. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder ,today my eyes overflowed from the scenery. The panoramic view of the bay was breathtaking.

Our guided tour given by Eduardo was educational and hilarious. He kept my interest by cracking a joke in every other sentence. “Shall I conduct this tour in Italian, French or German? Better yet, why don´t I just do it in Basque?” Basque is a language used by some inhabitants of Northern Spain.

San Sebastian has three beaches and the island of Santa Clara in the bay. Several people in our group braved the small ferry to explore the island. We found a flight of stairways that seemed to stretch all the way to heaven. Without hesitation, I took the first step. “I am not going up all those steps” I heard someone say. “I´ll wait for you all down here.” I continued up the stairs. About half way up I thought, “How much more do we have to go?” I was gasping for air. I took in such a deep breath. At that moment, the fragrance of the yellow mimosas filled my lungs. I knew the walk would be well worth it.

When we finally reached the top, my suspicions were confirmed. The view was incredible. Ironically enough, we found a ramp leading to the top.

As I stood admiring the scenery, I was reminded that the climb to the top is never easy. If it was, everyone would do it. Everyone can, but only those who choose to take the first step and complete the journey delight in the view.



No comments: