Friday, June 15

Burgos - La Catedral Y La Españiola

Living so close to the Rio Grande has caused a division in my culture. Soy Americana. Both my parents are Mexican. I have never felt fully Mexican nor have I wanted to embrace the over indulging American way.


Traveling through Spain and learning about their traditions, history and culture has allowed me to learn about my roots. The magnificence of the Burgos cathedral is indescribable. Our travel guide, Carlotta was wonderful. She possessed an energetic personality and lead our our group through the grounds.



She communicated with us using not only her words but also her facial expressions and hand movements. "The construction of this cathedral spanned over five centuries" she said with a smile on her face. "There are several different types of architectural styles found here."She went on to explain the history both good and bad of her country. Carlotta directed our attention to the beautiful sculptures made of gold. "Much of the gold used to mold these figures came from the Americas. The Spaniards took from the land and brought it here. " With an apologetic look on her face she regretfully said, "I´m sorry for that."



Part of our sightseeing tour in Burgos included visiting the Cartuja de Miraflores. In this church lay the remains of Juan Carlos II and Queen Isabel de Portugal. They were the parents of Isabel I. Also is a shrine dedicated to Prince Alfonso, brother of Isabel I. He died when he was fourteen.

I asked our lovely tour guide if Alfonso had lived would he have been in line for the throne? I knew I had asked an interesting question when she dashed across the room, grabbed my forearm and said "NO! The king and queen had an older son named Juan. He had a daughter who would have been next in line to the throne. However, Prince Juan died but ruled his daughter an illegitimate child. He claimed she was not his own daughter but that of a noble man."



I loved the way she told the story. "It sounds like a family soap opera. Tell me more. I want to know all about it," I said. "I am very interested." "Well of course you are, " she said. "you are a descendant of Spaniards."

With that, I began embracing the culture, the Spanish culture. It is my culture.

No comments: